Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Word "Niche" Creeps Me Out

Has a word every given you the heebie jeebies?  Used to be, (up until last year), I would hear the word "panties" and shudder.  I got over that (but not all the way, just call them underwear or even undies in front of me, m'kay?) and have a new word that gives me the shivers.

Niche.

Since becoming somewhat serious about blogging, the word niche creeps me out.  To me, it is one and the same as cornered, stuck, labeled, trapped.

I don't like that.  I've been reading a lot about finding my "niche" when blogging.  When I think about settling into a niche I start to feel almost claustrophobic.  I don't want to be in a niche.  I want to blog about what I want to blog about and if I put myself in a certain niche, well, I can't do that.

Maybe you see what I mean, maybe you don't.  The point is, I want to write about what catches my fancy.  I want to write about the world as I see it. 

I'm a mom.  I blog about it.  Does this automatically  make me a mom blogger?  I guess so.  My best material comes from the fact that I'm a mom and I wouldn't change that for anything.

I craft.  I blog about it.  Does that make me a craft blogger?  Maybe.  I like to share my fledgling artistic journey with people, to inspire them or make them laugh. 

I am married.  I blog about it.  Does that make me a marriage blogger?  Sure, why not.  My husband and I are a good team and I like to write about him.

I am funny. I try to convey that in my blogging and at the very least, I make myself laugh.  Does that make me a humor blogger?  Okay, fine.  I like to laugh and want you to laugh too.

I'm a teacher.  I blog about my students.  Does that make me an education blogger?  Maybe.  My job is important to me, so it's bound to filter into my writing.

I like to cook and bake.  I blog about it.  Does that make me a culinary blogger?  Sure, especially if you like pizza.  If I make something that is good enough to share, you better believe I want to share it with you!

I like to read and write about what I read.  Does that make me a literary blogger?  Why the heck not!  Blogging about what I read helps me think critically about what I just read and helps you decide if you want to read the book.  Win-win, I say.

I have opinions.  I blog about them.  Does that make me an editorial blogger?  You betcha.  I have opinions and sometimes I like to share them with you. 

I like fashion.  I blog about my outfits.  Does that make me a fashion blogger?  Sure.  I enjoy putting together outfits and taking pictures of myself.  It feeds a creative side of me.

Do you see where I'm going with this?  I like to blog about all sorts of things, which to me, is the antithesis of the word niche. 

You see, this blog is "Life as Topher's Mama."  That's me; I'm Topher's mama.  I'm a whole person and I want to share that whole person with you.  I'll be honest, when I post things that start to look too similar or niche-y, if you will, I'm going to switch it up a bit. 

I want you to love every thing I write, but I never want it to be predictable. Basically, what I'm saying is that this is a Niche Free Zone.



post signature

10 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE IT!! you totally get it! I feel oh so the same about Blogging what I want to blog about when i want to blog about it whatever "it" might be..I have tried to find my so called "niche" but could never just settle for one thing. so my blog is like yours, a niche free zone :) great post!

Nicolette said...

I completely agree. I'm also doing the 31 days to a better blog (but at my own pace) and the assignment about finding a niche was uncomfortable for me to say the least. I don't want to be just one thing. Like me, my blog is evolving. I don't want to label it.

BTW: I think you should make that "no niche" symbol a button and we can start a movement :)

Unknown said...

New follower-kport207 from the Relax and Surf Sunday blog hop.

Would love if you would visit my blog and follow me back, thanks :)

www.justthetwoofusanddeals.com

Sara said...

I completely agree about not wanting to get pigeonholed.

Oh and I completely agree ... I hate the word panties!

Nicole Orriëns said...

You know what? You just need a really BIG niche!

I've got a blog, momshomerun.blogspot.com, that has a niche so small, nobody is coming...

momfever.com

Unknown said...

I agree too! I have way too many interests and want to share too much. I don't care if my blog is all over the place because that is my personality. Why can't my niche just be "me". That would be the smallest niche available because there is only one of me. Great post!

Eve said...

Yet another thing we have in common. I've settled on the Eve niche. Hey they say variety is the spice of life, right? I'm wicked spicy then!

Quirky Homemaker said...

I'm the same way! When I first started researching blogging, EVERYTHING said to have a niche. I just DON'T have a niche. I like to dabble. :) And babble.

Unknown said...

cute pics! newest follower ! hey hon! found ya on the blog hop at victorias voice! would ya follow me gfc back, I am now following you! Thanks so much! Be sure to visit my blog @ http://1caseycolette.blogspot.com . I have a giveaway for a 12pk of Peter Rabbt Organics, PLUS a 6mo free advertising on my blog! :)

Lacey S said...

FANTASTIC! I feel the same way. I actually started a 2nd blog because I felt like the readers of my 1st blog wouldn't be interested in what I had to say because my 1st blog is very "niche-y"! My 2nd blog is about anything and everything I want it to be about!

Home