Thursday, March 10, 2011

FIghting Bullying: Combatiendo el acoso estudiantil - Univision Univision 41

Combatiendo el acoso estudiantil - Univision Univision 41

Y'all...

Click the link above. Yes, it's in Spanish. Yes, you'll only know one person in the clip. But that one person is an important person...it's me. (I'm toward the end, but don't fast forward, there's a bunch of cool stuff before me.)

My school was featured on Univision last night (and all the other major networks) for our campaign against bullying. They interviewed me and my team teacher (whose name, coincidentally, is NOT Gina Kelsey). Also, the two angel students speaking in beautiful, clear, intelligent Spanish? Two former students of mine.

Of all the things on this clip, I'm proudest of them. I'm also proud of my school; as bullying is becoming a nationwide epidemic, we're trailblazing the way to stop it--because later in life, it's killing kids. No joke.

Of course, I'm also proud I had the forethought to put on some lipstick before the interview. I'm also glad one can't see how overgrown my eyebrows are.

However, what makes the most glad is that one day, when I'm teaching my son about bullying, I'll be able to say that he's not the first child I've taught about bullying. That's important.

Those of you Spanish speakers reading this, feel free to critique my Spanish. It's my second language and I was speaking on a topic I normally talk about in English and given the fact that no one could come up with a direct translation of the word "bully," I think I did a good job.

(Julie McG, I know you're reading this and I really want your opinion of my Spanish...so help a "hermana" out.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY impressive, and I'm not just saying that! I had no idea it was going to be a non-native speaker talking until they showed it was you!!

Also, you're very brave!! I get so nervous speaking Spanish, and you did it on TV!!

It was good to see you, even if it was only a video.

Cecilia said...

That's so cool!

Screw You Chromosome 2!!! said...

Ginny! You sounded so grown up! And your spanish was perfecto! Felicidades!

Bec @ eleventhirtyish said...

Such an important topic! and in Spanish omg well done!

gin said...

Thanks everyone! It was fun and all the attention has really gone to my head (ha).

Home