Sunday, August 2, 2009

What I Thought About San Diego

Did you know it never really gets warmer or cooler than 75 in San Diego? True. It's like having air conditioning on the outside. Like all the citizens of San Diego left their doors open and let that glorious cool air pump right outside. (Behavior like that from me when I was little would have resulted in a twisted ear. We are NOT airconditioning the outside.) Here are some things we did whilst in San Diego. I keep wanting to say "sunny" San Diego, but sunny it was not. Mostly cloudy, actually.

  • Our friend Mars took us to the top of this mountain called Mount Soledad. On the way up we got to feast our eyes on multimillion dollar homes. One house had an entire wall made of glass! I sure hope they don't throw stones. At the top of this mountain is a terrific view of San Diego and La Jolla. I'll give San Diego one thing: it's a gorgeous city.
  • Mars also took us to this beach called Ocean Beach. We saw more multimillion dollar homes and we walked onto a pier that goes a quarter of a mile out into the ocean. We saw surfers and one fisherman caught a manta ray. I got sad when I realized he wasn't going to throw it back in because those things need to be in the ocean. I mean, they can't be good eating. Please let me know if you've ever eaten a manta ray, or a ray of any kind. Tell me about it. I'd really like to know if they're good or not. They don't look good.
  • I learned a lot at the science conference and at the end of our stay, we had to make a presentation about how we're going to implement this science curriculum in our district. Well, I wasn't really nervous about the presentation. It didn't seem like a big deal to me, you know, we were just going to talk about what we're going to do to another group of teachers. I wasn't nervous until a tiny little lady walked in and sat down, and got our her notes. Who was this lady? Sally Ride herself. That's right folks, Dr. Sally Ride, first American woman in space, the founder of this program, attended and then commented on our presentation. It was humbling, in a word. Needless to say, my voice was a little shaky when I gave my part of the presentation. But she heard what we had to say and took our suggestion about creating the materials in Spanish...I may even get to translate some of her books! Sweet.
  • We stayed at the Lodge at Torrey Pines, which is where some sort of very important golf tournament takes place. Matt wanted to get some souvenirs from the pro shop there, so we went. The cool thing about it is that there are pictures of Tiger Woods all over the place in there, he's won a lot of times on that golf course. The not so cool thing about it is that they want $4 for a stinking golf ball. And $27 for a cap.

We had a lot of fun in San Diego; I learned a lot about science and am all the more pumped to get back to work. I am incredibly happy to be home for a bit. So is my cat. He's laying on our tile entryway, on his back, staring at the vaulted ceiling. I think I'll go join him. What can I say? We love our house.

No comments:

Home