Friday, June 12, 2009

Cooking Up a Storm

Ordinarily, I would smatter this post with pictures of all the things I have done in the kitchen since the summer began. I really would! However, we have learned that we do not have a camera to our name that is functioning properly and we don't know why. Hub's camera hasn't been working right since our honeymoon, when it got dropped in the sand and a little grain of sand got lodged in the view finder. My camera is well, MIA. I think hubs took it to school and left it there. We will go and look soon...but ah, I digress. It's only 7:26am and I've been up 45 minutes and have not yet downed my first cup of coffee, so excuse me when I start to ramble.

Back to the kitchen...I have been getting adventurous up in there! It's so fun to be able to spread out in the kitchen, using all the space and having an awesome oven that heats like it should. It's also awesome to have a huge pantry and fridge...cooking as a homeowner is a delight.

Here is what I have made, in no particular order:
1. Pork Tenderloin: Make this even if you've never made it before. I used the recipe to the link and I am never going back. It's easy and delicious. I served mine with corn on the cob. Hubs really liked it.

2. Chicken Tikka Masala: I made this last night for my mom and my aunt. Surprisingly easy and VERY good. Hubs admittedly said this wasn't his favorite dish, but he is a red-blooded American boy through and through. He does not experiment much with his cuisine but he did eat all the chicken out of his plate. This tasted like real Indian food, the kind I would order at a restaurant...I was happy.

3. Italian Creme Cake: This is a favorite of mine and of my mom. I make this cake everytime I need to bring a dessert anywhere. I don't have the recipe online as it has been passed down through the family. It will blow your mind if you make it right though. It has the perfect combination of pecans and coconut, and let's not forget it's slathered with cream cheese icing. And, if you throw half a teaspoon of salt in the batter, it not only brings out the other flavors, but it also negates all the calories that are in this dish! Ha. Let me know if you want the recipe, it's always a big hit.

4. Turkey Burgers, a la Gin: I don't ever cook with beef in the house, because I don't like the smell of it. It's wierd, I know, but I don't do it simply for that reason. I'm not against beef, in fact I've been known to eat a burger here or there when we go out. And we all know my hubs favorite food is a good, old fashioned bacon cheeseburger. I have created my own ground turkey burger that hubs likes just as much. What you do is you take a pound of ground turkey and you put it in a bowl. Then, you add two tablespoons of plain yogurt, two tablespoons of Worcestshire, one egg, and about two cups of bread crumbs. Mix that all together with a spatula. Then season it with some Lawry's seasoned salt and form into patties. Makes one heck of a juicy burger.

5. Twice-Baked Potatos: When I made these for my hubs (I served them with the turkey burgers), the heavens parted for him. He is raving about them to people we don't even know. We're hosting Christmas this year and he has already said he wants THESE potatoes to be served Christmas Day. Make these. Click on the link, do everything the Pioneer Woman tells you to do. You will not regret it, and they are so easy.

6. Cuban Sandwiches: I just had to make these, as we have had our panini press for almost a year (Thanks Grandma F!!) and haven't used it yet. So, I got it out and followed the instructions. A delicious lunch!

The cooking will decrease substantially starting next Wednesday...we're Colorado bound! My next few posts may be dedicated to dorm food, as that is what I'll be eating for two weeks straight. Hmm, dorm life sounded fun when I was 18, but now that I'm 26, a homeowner and an expert chef, I don't know how I will take to it. Shower shoes, anyone??

No comments:

Home