Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tacos that Will Make Your Husband Happy

Tonight I made an insanely easy dinner that made MGK so happy. This is a meal that you've all heard of and can be eaten breakfast, lunch or dinner. I'm talking about bacon, egg and potato tacos! To make these tacos (and subsequently make your husband a full and happy man) you will need:

4-5 medium eggs
2 baking potatos, diced
1 medium onion, diced
several strips of bacon
extra virgin olive oil
flour or corn tortillas (I personally use flour)

Here's how you make them, a la gin:
Throw down some extra virgin oil in a skillet with the onions. I never measure the oil but I would think it's about 2 tablespoons. Then you throw down your potatoes in a medium high heat. Now, this is a point of contention amongst members of my family: boiled potatos or raw potatos? I personally just throw down raw diced potatoes and let them saute with the onions. While they're cooking with the onions and the potatos, you need to spice it up! Now, I have found that spice usage differs household to household, but I will tell you what I use. I toss in some salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder. I never measure, I just use enough to make that smell really emanate from the pan. It also gives the potatos a nice color. If you use raw potatos like I do, you will need to let them saute for awhile, about 12 minutes. Stir them around every once in awhile. You will notice that the onions start to carmelize and that's a good thing. When the potatos are finished cooking, lower the temp to medium low and pour in your eggs, prebeaten. I don't like my scrambled eggs stirred to much, so I let the eggs hang out for a minute or two, then I kind of fold them over. Then I repeat until they're all cooked up. For the love of God, do not let the eggs get brown. Yucky. Anyway, you've noticed I haven't mentioned the bacon. That's because I don't cook it and crumble it into the egg mixture, I actually cook whole pieces while the eggs are cooking to place on top of my taco. So, cook your bacon any old way, just make sure it's done by the time your eggs and potatos are ready. Now it's time to build your taco! I layer shredded cheese, bacon and the potato egg mix on a warmed up flour taco. Husbandly does the same, but he adds a little hot sauce. The man loves hot sauce.

Now, the best part of this easy meal is watching hubs eat it and then saying, while his mouth is full, "Man, this is AWESOME!" Life's small pleasures, I tell you what.

PS
Hubs got a haircut today and he looks really cute. It makes his eyes look even bigger and sparklier than they already are. Our kids are going to be the talk of the town. :) It goes without saying that it's very easy to cook for him.

No comments:

Home