Monday, April 27, 2009

Oink, Oink

Okay guys, I'm going to throw this out there. This swine flu business is worrisome to me. I am trying really hard not to worry, to just do my thing, wash my hands real good, sanitize, sanitize, sanitize, but there are only so many things I can control. I can not control what my students touch. I cannot control what they breathe. Nor can I control what my husband's students touch, breathe, eat, etc. This swine flu was confirmed in Texas. You want to know where? In a neighboring county. Not far away. The schools in that district have shut down and mind you, this is the BIG TESTING WEEK. That's what concerned me; that if an illness is so bad that a district is willing to shut school down during a big week like this. Crazy. Ka-razy. I don't want to go to the store, I don't want to fill up with gas. Every where I look I see germs. Every time I turn on the TV, more people have died, more people are sick, more people are confirmed. This is messed up! Keep your eyes peeled, people. I don't care how healthy you are, if you run a fever and have a sore throat, just go to the doctor. For the love of all that's good and holy, do NOT go to work or school if you are ill. This is how an illness spreads, Epidemiology 101. Here's a little lesson in hand-washing: use antibacterial soap and warm water. While you're scrubbing, sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" in your head. Or out loud, it is a pretty song. When you're done singing, you'll know you've scrubbed long enough. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and dry well. Start carrying hand-sanitizer in your handbag or man-purse. Men, if you don't have a man-purse, go get one so you can carry your hand-sanitizer in it. While there is no vaccine for this new strain of flu, there are some vitamins you can take to beef up your immune system. You're usual vitamin C,D, cranberry. Also, be healthy. Exercise. Eat your veggies. Live well. Make sure your home environment is clean. These things might not prevent you getting the flu, but will help your immune system fight the flu. If you're in a state that has CDC confirmed cases of the swine flu, it may be a good idea to avoid public gatherings for awhile. Just saying.

There. That makes me feel a little better. That just helped me de-stress, another thing that will hlep my immune system kick the swine flu's butt. Go and be well.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I'm a little unsettled as well! I'm pregnant so my immune system is a joke & we have a little one at home!!! Stay away germs!!!

Home