Friday, August 29, 2008

Six random things

My friend T tagged me in her blog and now I'm supposed to write six random things about myself. So, here goes:

1. I love all things pumpkin. When Starbucks brings back the pumpkin spice latte in the fall, it's the most glorious occasion. I also really love Thanksgiving because it's the season for pumpkin pastries. My mother in law in Iowa makes the best pumpkin brownies. I also love pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin scones...in my opinion, you can't go wrong with pumpkin.

2. I have a fear of birds. I wouldn't call it debilitating, but it does affect my behavior in public. I am afraid they will swoop me and peck me or poop on me. All those things have happened and I don't particularly want them to happen again. Seagulls and ostriches are the worst for me.

3. I do this thing that I call "comfort reading." Whenever I'm feeling down or have a bad day, I turn to my comfort reading. Mainly, that comfort reading is Harry Potter books. I know I can pick up any of the seven books and all will be fine after about a half hour of reading. It works every time.

4. I have had stitches three times. Twice on my face and once on my finger. All three times were before I had turned four. I was a crazy, hyperactive kid. My poor mother.

5. When I was in kinder, my teacher recommended I be put in special ed. She told my mom I would never read. My mom refused to accept that and worked and worked with me and wouldn't you know, even though I was the last in my kinder class to learn to read, I read and now, I do this thing called "comfort reading", I have a college degree, I speak two languages and I'm a teacher. That's why in my room I hesitate recommending any child for special ed testing until I have exhausted all other interventions.

6. I call my cat Meowcito. I sing a song to him in Spanish called "Como andas, Meowcito?". I made it up myself and he responds to it. I've since shortened the nickname to "Cito" and sometimes "Cito-pito". I know, that's crazy weird.

I think I'm now supposed to tag three more people: Julie McG, Mollye and M'chelle...y'all are it!

1 comment:

M'chelle said...

Thanks Gin for the birthday wishes! That was so very thoughtful of you. Thanks for tagging me too. I actually enjoyed trying to list things that most people may not know about me.

I enjoy reading your blog and getting filled on you two newlyweds. I have enjoyed getting to know you more through your blog and facebook. Tell Matt congrats on the job! That is just SPECTACULAR!

Are you two going to be at Ramey's wedding? We will be there with bells on so I hope to see you then.

Home