Sunday, August 17, 2008

End of an Era

I heard some sad news today.

I went to college at the University of Colorado, Boulder. I had to put myself through it and it was a very formative time of my life. I learned a lot about myself during my time at CU and not to mention a lot of other stuff that has helped me in the real world.

While in school, I waited tables at a restaurant called On the Border. While there, I made some of the best friends I've ever had, not to mention met some really great people I waited on. I realized I wanted to teach when a family I met at OTB offered me a job teaching their kids Spanish. My family didn't live in CO while I was at school and there were times I would confide in two of my regular customers, Deb and Barb. They were two motherly types who would become my confidants at times.

There were times that I hated the fact that I was a server, but I never hated OTB itself. I loved the people I worked with and the management staff. I found out today that in a week, OTB is closing. It makes me sad because I spent A LOT of time there during my college days. If it was Friday night, I wasn't out partying like the other college students, I was working because that's when I made my money. Plus, all my friends worked with me so even if I did have a Friday night off, I would be bored because everyone else would be working.

It's the end of something that was important in my life; my source of income for over five years. I was a really good server; I was quick and efficient and friendly and I learned it all from there. OTB gave me the practical experience of customer service that is so integral to my profession. I know how to smile and make a parent happy because a long time ago I learned how to smile and make a customer happy.

OTB: I'm so sorry you're closing. We had a lot of fun times; remember when that mouse got in the ice cream freezer and jumped out like the devil had possessed him? I know, a story like that is probably the reason you're closing; but it was funny. Remember when Dave would say "the mongoose runs at midnight" and that was my cue to sample something left over in the bar? Remember when I made cinnamon and sugar but it was really cinnamon and salt? That was a disgusting surprise for a very upset guest. Remember when we would have dance parties in the 110 degree kitchen? Remember how I perfected my Spanish by being able to speak to the cooks and dishwashers on a daily basis? Remember when Malia drank a whole cone cup of grenadine, or downed a whole thing of syrup? That's another thing; thanks for helping me meet Malia, Megan, Amanda and Beth; four very good friends of mine that I would not have met had it not been for you.

I didn't realize how much I would miss you until I realized I couldn't even visit you again. Thanks for everything, including the college education.

No comments:

Home