Monday, July 18, 2011

Cake in a Coffee Cup

Yes friends, you read that right. That title isn't simply for artistic alliterative purposes. Today I will show you how to make Cake in a Coffee Cup.

The best part? It takes a minute. A literal minute. Sixty seconds. One turn around the clock.

I found this idea through Pinterest, specifically from this sweet site. I squealed and vowed to try it that very night, as I had a hankering for something sweet, though I had nothing in my house. I adapted it from the original recipe and re-titled it (befittingly, as you'll see in a moment).

Do you want to know how to make a real, live cake in 60 seconds? Of course you do.

Here's what you need:
One egg
Lovely tablespoon of brown sugar.
Half a teaspoon of baking powder, not to be confused with baking soda.
Heaping tablespoon of flour.

2 heaping tablespoons of raspberry chocolate spread

Here's the deal: I used the Raspberry Chocolate Spread from Pampered Chef that I won in a giveaway. Cassie used peanut butter. I had none on hand (what??) so instead of throwing a real, live tantrum like I was inclined to do, I poked through my fridge and deemed it an appropriate substitute.

Let me tell you, it was SO appropriate.

Another thing that Cassie did differently: she used a ramekin. I have but one ramekin that I may or may not have stolen from Chili's on accident.

(Who am I kidding...I wanted to take the ranch home. I love their ranch dressing.)

Anyway, I used the stolen ramekin and I believe karma was catching up with me because this is what happened the first time I made this using a ramekin:


I learned that night that I will scrape food off the microwave dish. I will swipe my finger across it, I will even lick it.

It wasn't my proudest moment.

However, from that moment on I used a tall coffee cup, and the name Coffee Cup Cake was born.

(That my friends, is called a digression.)

After assembling the ingredients, go ahead and whisk 'em real good.


By the way, I wanted to get a live shot of me whisking my cake but found I could not do it one-handed, the picture nor the whisking. How does the Pioneer Woman do it? Her kids, maybe? Hmm.

After you whisk, coat a tall coffee cup with baking spray. I love Baker's Joy.

You give the coffee cup a little kiss and tell her you'll see her in a minute.
(Note: Cassie cooked hers 30 seconds.  This did not work for me.  I blame the heat and humidity, my blame fall-backs.)

Look at that. Beautiful. It's hard to tell but she's filled up three quarters of the cup.

Normally, I will just take the coffee cup and a spoon straight to the couch and live it up. But for you guys, I decided to show you Coffee Cup Cake in her full glory.

I made a simple frosting from powdered sugar and milk, no measurement required.

I drizzled it over my Coffee Cup Cake.
Yay! Pioneer Woman would be proud. An action shot at it's finest.

Look at how moist and soft it looks. The texture is perfect.



Perfect to the last bite.

Go forth and microwave.

And many thanks to Cassie of Back to Her Roots for inspiring this post.  Please visit her blog; you won't be disappointed.

Linking up here:





post signature

12 comments:

Elvira said...

must. get. eggs.
My very old microwave looks sad, not being used. Gonna make that one happy tomorrow... (and my husband too, probably)

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

Yum! I need to try this with my kids, it's the perfect project:)

Nicolette said...

Ok, so after reading this post, I immediately went to my kitchen and made them. I also was out of PB and did not have chocolate sauce but used 1 Tablespoon of cocoa powder and they are AWESOME! Amazing idea!

Sara said...

That looks awesome!

Lauren said...

That sounds intriguing. I may have to try it.

BTW, I love Chili's ranch, too. I like to order a chicken sandwich and dip every bite in ranch. Every. Bite.

Hi, I'm Aleisha! said...

Hey Mama of Toph! I stumbled upon your blog...not even sure how I found you...but am GLAD I did! Hooray! Your blog is lovely and I enjoy the way you write. I'm your newest follower! http://callmemamaleisha.blogspot.com (And it's after 11pm and I should be going to bed, but now all I want is cake! I want cake!)

Anonymous said...

OMG this looks awesome, I'm all over this!

Sharde said...

Yum yum! Have you seen the boom from that lady that was on rachael ray! She made a whole book of coffee cup cake recipes! Like a ton. Look it up!!!

Tora´s Vintage Dream said...

OHMYGOSH this looks sooooooo gooooooood. Thanks for sharing, I really have to try this, it´s amazing LOL

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Genius! I can't wait to try it! Thank you for linking up to "It's a Party"! You are also one of the features today!

jellybelly said...

Okay, this is really interesting! I'll give it try :)

Love your blog! Got here from Finding New Friends Bloghop.

The Twerp and I

City Life to Ranching Wife said...

waaaaaahhhhh! We don't own a microwave.

Home