Monday, June 6, 2011

A Methodical Blogger

Are you a methodical blogger?

I love blogging and try post a few times a week. However, sitting in front of a computer can be very tiresome and I've been known to spend extended hours on posts. Many times, all I am doing is staring at the screen,  wondering what to do next.
 
 Not cool.

I've had to come up with a process or method, if you will. Utilizing this method has helped me produce great posts (in my own unbiased opinion) and it has minimized my time in front of the computer.

Here it is:

1. Title/thought/idea. The first thing I do when I open a new post is to write my title. It might not be the title I use in the final draft, but having something in that top text box gives me direction and a jumping off point.


2. Images. Before I start with the text of my post, I plan my images. If they're personal images, I edit them using Picnik. If they're stock images, I search for them and save them and their sources so they'll be ready to go. I then edit images and this is usually the lengthiest part of my blogging method. Usually but not always.

via
3. Write. I write my post, inserting my pre-planned images where I think they should go. I don't overly pay attention to my grammar during this stage, however I am naturally good at grammar and spelling and will notice mistakes right away, thus correcting as I go.

4. Walk away. I leave my browser open and go get a drink of water, use the restroom, chat with the hubs, watch some TV. I give myself about 20 minutes. The point of this part is to relieve my eyes and freshen my mind up. Fresh eyes and minds catch mistakes more easily.

5. Edit. I reread my blog post and edit for the final draft, the one that will show up in your dashboard. I analyze my images to make sure they make sense in the spot they are in. I make sure I don't digress too much, which I am often prone to do. I will read out loud and if it's a particularly long post, I will have my hubs read it. I do my blogging at night, therefore I am tired and need to be extra meticulous.

Of course, then I click "Post." Using this method has saved me time and improved my blog posts.

Do you think there is value in blogging methodically? What processes do you utilize to post a blog?

post signature

(Top image source.)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

There is a lot of value in this method! I do something similar, just a bit of a different order. I start with my inspiration, which is sometimes an image, a quote or just an idea I had. My title usually comes some time while I'm writing the post... whenever inspiration hits!!

Diane and Chad said...

Sounds like a good plan since the title is usually about the inspiration!! I am ane follower from the hop, hope you will visit: http://childhoodmyths.net/blog

Tiff said...

Sounds like a plan!

I decided a long time ago not to go back and proof.. Because I over think stuff.. And change my true thoughts!

Following from the hop!

Andrea @ Keepin it Thrifty said...

Sounds like a good plan!!

Are we friends on Pinterest? Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog !

here is my link : http://pinterest.com/keepinitthrifty/

Kristin said...

My method is similar, but I love that you walk away and then come back and review. I am going to try that. Thanks so much for stopping by blog and I look forward to visiting yours again soon. I love the clean easy to read format.

Stephanie in Suburbia said...

I'm definitely not methodical. Some posts I just free write and edit later. Other posts I guess I am more methodical like you described. Sometimes I write like 5 in one sitting, other times I write them on the day they are posted. So I guess I am a random blogger.

Lauren @ 31diy said...

It is well worth the effort because you have great posts, but I know what you mean about it sometimes taking more energy and time then one has effort for in the moment. Sometimes I get lazy and just post pictures instead of tutorials. I still have to go and edit those pictures in picnik, but I think it's worth the time because I always regret it when I don't.

I usually randomly start thinking about what I'm going to say in my post when I'm taking a shower, walking the dogs, etc. But sometimes I have the fortune of being near a pen and pad and can jot down a few sentences to get me started. I find that that speeds things up quite a bit. Oh blogging...

Unknown said...

I can't tell you how many hours I spend just staring at the screen. Seriously - are you SURE we aren't the same person? I don't know why it takes me so long to write a post or why I spend so much time thinking about it. I am going to try your tips and see if I can speed up my process.

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

I wish I were more methodical. Actually, I wish I had more planned posts. I usually wait until last minute and then kick myself for not writing something better.

Home