Sunday, March 1, 2009

Treadmill vs. Outside

I have noticed a stark contrast between my inside runs and my outside runs and am trying to figure out if it's just me or if there really is a difference between outside endurance and inside endurance.

Today I ran inside a little over 3 miles. I decided to really push today, so I upped my pace and alternated with a steep incline. It was hard, at least, harder than normal, but not as hard as my past two days' runs, which have been outside on my little loop. Why is that? After about ten minutes outside, my calves are killing me, which is why I decided to turn on the steep incline during today's run. The calves did not even bother me today in the slightest, none of my extremities did, for that matter.

I think it might be some sort of mental block. I love my comfy, cozy home, thus running outside away from my comfort zone makes me feel more tired than I actually am.

How do I remedy this?

1 comment:

Tara said...

I think it's absolutely true that it's easier to run on a treadmill because the belt propels your legs backwards for you so you only have to do half the work. Instead of pushing yourself forward, it pulls your leg back....I don't really know if that makes sense but that's my theory! : )

Home