Saturday, February 28, 2009

Running

"It's very hard to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the real competition is against the voice inside you that wants to quit."
-George Sheehan
A couple of weeks ago, it came to my knowledge that I have a natural stamina. Meaning, I can start to run and if it's at the right pace, I can run for a very long time. This is nice to know, as I've been running a lot lately. I got it in my head that I want to run races as a hobby. Something to shoot for, a constant goal to have. Ever since college, after my first Bolder Boulder, I have loved to run in races but since I moved here, I have not run in one. I have made plans to run one, but I didn't have a consistent training routine, thus life and work got in the way. That's all going to change, my friends. I have been actively training for a slew of races coming up in the next month with the big mama at the very end: Carrabba's Half Marathon here in SA, June 20. I think husbandly is going to do it with me, but we are on very different planes when it comes to running, so I don't foresee us running together too often. While I am slower paced with longer runs, he is faster paced with shorter runs. Nothing wrong with that, but I think when we need to either speed up or slow down we'll run together. Plus, I like running with him because he gives me a cute backside to stare at. ;)

Another thing: I had to realize that running can't be intertwined with my want to lose weight. It was a pitfall: as soon as I thought I could taper off on the weightloss, what else tapered off? My running, and I don't want that to happen. So, running is not about losing weight, it's about making a goal and proving to myself that I can do it. Might I lose weight? Probably.
With that being said, I love the quote at the beginning of this blog. How many times have I fallen victim to that voice? For me, around the 45 minute mark it starts in on me. Sometimes I give in, sometimes no. I will beat you, little voice!
I have a lot to learn in this process. How to train, how to eat, how to rest, how to be faster, how to beat that little voice. I have to say that sometimes I really hate to run. Hate it. On my drives home when I know I have to eat a quick snack and start my run, I hope for a traffic jam. I am now cognizant to the fact that it's the little voice doing the hoping.
Expect more posts on running. I have a feeling I'm going to need to write about this little goal of mine and about the little voice, who might not ever go away, but who will hopefully shut up after awhile.

No comments:

Home