Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ben Folds is My New Running Buddy

I had kind of gloomy day today and I put off my run for a long time. Finally, I decided to put what was bothering me behind me and get on that treadmill. Of course, now I feel great as I knew I would. Isn't that weird that the buildup to a workout can seem so dreadful but afterwards you always feel great?

I love running, I really do. I don't consider myself a fantastic runner or a speed demon or anything like that. But my stamina is good and I can go for a long time once I get started at the right pace. As I'm training for a half marathon, I have to kind of switch up my running to make sure I'm ready for it. However, one of my most favorite places to run is right here in my own house.

Here's why: I have a treadmill. My awesome mother in law gave it to me (us) and I love having it here. It's a fold up kind so when I'm done it doesn't take up a whole lot of space. Since I have this treadmill, I can go running whenever I want and I don't have to worry about driving anywhere, getting hit by a car or sweating profusely in front of people I don't know.

Another reason I like running here at home is that I can listen to whatever music I want and I don't have to fool with an Ipod. It's true; at the gym I can put on my Ipod and listen to whatever music I want; but those ear buds are the bane of my existence! They don't stay in and when they get sweaty the music gets all weird and muffled. Today on my run, since I was feeling so awful, I knew I needed some bright music. I chose Ben Folds. It was definitely the right choice as I lost myself in the music and my run was over in the blink of an eye. I did not hear one bad song. All the songs were a joy to listen to and as I've been listening to Ben for a LONG time, each song generally drums up some memory associated with it.

I had a good run today. If you haven't ever listened to Ben Folds, I would recommend it. His voice is like a bell and his songs are lovely.

No comments:

Home