Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sweet Little Set

Confession: Today I will teach you how to make something. This little something is not original, nor is it difficult to make. However, it is cute, versatile and fun.

Do you still want to know what it is? M'kay, but I'm telling you now: it's easy.

Here's what I made:


What you see is a matching cocktail ring and hair barrette. Made out of buttons. Here's what you need to make one yourself:

Two fancy buttons, ring/bobby pin findings, hot glue

Mind blowing I know. Remember when I made my button monogram? Well, I bought some fancy buttons with the intent to use them as accents on that piece, but these just didn't seem to fit, even though I loved them so.

I caressed these buttons, kissed them and whispered sweet nothings into their ear. I so wanted to use them but just didn't know how.

Then, inspiration hit. I would buy a ready made ring and bobby pin from Hobby Lobby. I would hot glue the buttons to them. I would live happily ever after with my new sweet set of accessories.

You know what comes next.

I applied copious amounts of hot glue to the ring and inserted the button.

Note: Don't put the ring on while the hot glue is still hot. Metal is a conductor for heat and you will burn the fire out of your pretty little finger.


I did the same with the bobby pin.

Note: Don't put the bobby pin in your hair while the glue is still hot. No, your hair doesn't have feelings, but your scalp does and when the wet hot glue adheres to your hair, you will feel it upon removal of the bobby pin.


I told you they were easy. Look how excited Toph was when he heard the news of my sweet little set:
My mama is so smart and creative!

Linking up here:
 A Marvelous MessTip Junkie handmade projectsA Crafty SoireeSomewhat Simple Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!


post signature

10 comments:

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

So cute! I need to get some of those bobby pin findings. I did some of the cloth covered buttons, but the hot glue made it so all of the buttons popped off:( It looks like I need to try again:)

Summer said...

New follower from the Thursday blog hop! Would love for you to follow me back at http://ericsummerandbella.blogspot.com!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

I would have never thought to make them into those. What a perfect idea! I hope your burn warnings are not from experience...

Eve said...

You are so darn crafty it's amazing. To you these are cute little nothings, but to me these are wicked pretty {and one-of-a-kind} accessories. I am going to Michael's Crafts this weekend. I've been wanting some cute bobby pins for the longest time but couldn't find anything worth paying $10-12 for, ya know? Now I just need to dig through my closet for my hot glue gun. I haven't used it since my DIY wedding... oh boy wish me luck! I'll post my pics later, stay tuned!

Mama Up! said...

Very cool! I'm always sad that we don't have Hobby Lobby 'round here.

Anonymous said...

Those are super cute and easy! And hey, when you make your own jewelry organizer, you have to make room for these! =)

Unknown said...

New follower from the Thursday Blog Hop! I would love for you to follow me back at http://generationsofsavings.blogspot.com/

cookieandclaire said...

I love that you typed M'Kay and I didn't even bat an eye at it! We could be friends Topher's mommy!
I found you through Marvelously Messy. I am following your blog and would love a "follow back" if you have a chance!
Have a great 4th - M'kay!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

theses are so cute! love it :)

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

Unknown said...

So creative! Featuring you this week at my party:) Will be up later, thanks for linking up!

Home