Saturday, May 8, 2010

Learning From the Best


While research says that motherhood comes naturally and instinctively to many women, I believe that a lot of being a mama is learned. A mother learns first and foremost from her mother, and then from the mothers who surround her.

I'm one lucky mama; I've got several mamas in my life that I have learned from.

First of all, my own mother.

I don't know where to start with how much I have learned from her. She has taught me to bask in the joy of being a mother and all that comes with it. She taught me to enjoy every minute of every day with my son, no matter what it brings. She taught me to laugh at my boy and to remember that every day he changes just a little bit. Thank God for her.

My husband's mother.

She taught me that a mama's relationship with her boy is so incredibly special, and that no matter how old he gets, he will still be that little baby you bring home from the hospital. I'm so lucky to have her in my life.

My husband's stepmother. She taught me that the relationship with her children can be one where laughter is plentiful. I love watching her with her kids; they laugh and truly enjoy each other.

My friend Kim. She showed me what strength looks like with her boy.

My friend Tara. She showed me what courage looks like, even when you are scared and weak. She taught me to film the first time my baby eats chocolate pudding and to rejoice in the small things like opening a trash bag.

My friend Jess. She taught me to take pictures without ceasing and to revel in the beauty of baby boys.

My friend Leslie. She taught me that you become a mother the moment you set eyes on your baby, no matter where in the world he is.

My friend Cecilia. She taught me that showing your children the world can be fun, exciting and enriching.

Thank you mama friends. Your wisdom and guidance (albeit unknown) has taught me so much.

Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Jess and Matt said...

This is so sweet. HAPPY FIRST MOTHER'S DAY! I have always been so impressed by your love for you boy, long before he was born, long before you knew he was a he! :) I love the way you love your boys. Toph is a lucky little dude. And, that's right, never stop taking those pictures and writing down even the smallest little things, because they change and grow way, way too fast. You are beautiful.

Tara said...

Ginny,
Your words are too kind! You are already so natural at this and I always look forward to your posts. What a lucky little guy Topher is!!!

Cecilia said...

Thanks for the shout-out Gin. I hope you had a great day with your little love. He's adorable and I'm so happy we're all able to share our lives this way.

Home